• What are the symptoms for COVID-19?

There are many symptoms due to COVID-19, some of them include having a fever that is >99.5, chills, sore throat, cough, fatigue, congestion, loss of taste/smell. More severe symptoms are worsening cough, shortness of breath, chest pains, confusion, blue lips. Please remember that sometimes COVID-19 can be asymptomatic.

  • Where are people isolated who have COVID-19?

Asymptomatic people are housed in Bingham and symptomatic people are in Welch. Even if you test positive and live off-campus, you can still move into Bingham or Welch.

  • What happens if I receive a positive COVID-19 result?

You will receive a call from the resulting team to review if you have symptoms, describe contract tracing, explain the role of the Care Management team, and be advised to pack and move to Isolation Housing on Old Campus.

  • What’s the difference between isolation and quarantine?

Isolation happens when you have tested positive for COVID-19. Quarantine is if you have been in contact with someone in the past 14 days who has tested positive or if you have come to Connecticut from a red state.

  • How is it certain that it is not a false positive?

To ensure that it is not a false positive, a student can double test out of isolation. If both are negative, then it is a false positive and the student will return to the dorms.

  • How long is someone in isolation housing?

Someone who is symptomatic positive will be in isolation for 10 days since they started showing symptoms and that they no longer have a fever.

Someone who is asymptomatic positive will be in isolation for 10 days.

  • What happens once someone recovers from COVID-19?

The person drops out of the COVID-19 testing for 90 days. During these 90 days, the person could still continue to show positive, even after recovery.

  • What is the maximum number of people in a gathering?

Under the Yale Community Compact, you can have up to 10 people inside. Outdoor gatherings are allowed as long as social distancing can be maintained.

  • What should I do if I think I have COVID-19?

If you feel like you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, do not wait until your routine test to get tested. Stay home and contact Yale health at the student health line (203-432-0312) or acute care line (203-432-0123). They will guide you through the steps to get tested in a manner that will minimize contact with healthy individuals.

  • What’s the difference between a PHC and a PHEP?

A PHC is a graduate student living in residential colleges. Their role is to enforce the community compact and handle conversations with students who are non-compliant in some way. A PHEP is here to answer any questions and give advice on the difficulties during this time.

  • Can I take my mask off if I’m outside?

The only time you can take your mask off is if you are inside your own suite/home. The community compact asks for both universal mask wearing and 6ft of social distancing at all times. The only time that this does not need to be followed is in your own residence.

  • How can I break up a gathering that I am uncomfortable with?

If you want advice on how to approach the conversation, reach out to your residential college PHEPs. If the gathering is over 10 people inside a residential college, you can call the PHC that is on-call at 203-737-1414. If the gathering is off-campus, call the New Haven Police Department if they are breaking the Connecticut State guidelines.

  • What are the rules about Yale sponsored events?

Yale College requires that gatherings have less than 10 people when indoors and less than 100 when outdoors. Use this link for the full set of requirements for hosting a Yale sponsored event this year.